Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

General Questions

• FlyingThereAndBack
  • Topic Author

FlyingThereAndBack created the topic: General Questions

Hi Bob, I have now finished your text and cyber exams, and have kept all my questions till now. I'm sorry if I bombard you with questions here, but this covers everything I'm not too sure about, your help would be much appreciated, and hopefully will help others too. The text I studied is July 2011

1. If no TAF is available, and you are using an ARFOR to determine alternate requirements, and for example low cloud base is expected to rise 20 minutes before your ETA, there is no 30 minute buffer period according to AIP right?

2. Question 19 page 4.15 asks for compulsury reporting points. What exactly does it mean on the ERC map legend by saying the triangles with squares around them are required report points from DESIGNATED flights. Also if you are flying VFR along an ERC route, none of these reporting points apply right?

3. Why is it that LOC approaches have lower minimums than VOR, aren't they essentially the same thing?

4. Question 42 page 5.73 states you must add 50 feet to the published MDA of an aerodrome which has no TAF applied; However DAP EAST page 1-3 para 1.11 states that aerodromes with no regular TAF already has this factored in, and only aerodromes where a regular TAF is provided but is not available should this AIP requirement be factored in by the pilot?

5. I know you have stated the mistake in the AIP, GEN 1.5 para 8.5.5.3, where it should not include TSO C129, however when ENR 1.1 para 58.3.3 refers the reader to GEN 1.5 para 8.5.5.3 in regards to night VFR alternate minimum requirements, the pilot does only require a TSO 129 (Ie. VH-OZY) to fullfill the requirements for night VFR? But it does not fullfill requirements for IFR.

6. What is the meaning of the lightning strike symbols on the GPS approach plates? I know most of them are at 25nm, so I figured they are where the 25nm MSA starts, but some have it also at other distances as well as at 25nm.

7. I have noticed some approach plates state under notes that max initial IAS is 210 kts, but the answers given in questions are still the lower speeds from AIP table 1.1 Is this max IAS of 210Kts only used if the speed from table 1.1 is higher? Such as for Category C aircraft.

8. Question 5 page 7.1 170 Kts is given as the answer to hold at Victoria River Downs NDB. Where is any information on this procedure, why is 170Kts used as supposed to 230 Kts? How do you know this holding procedure is only for Cat A and B

9. Question 34 page 7.4 states that seperation between IFR and VFR flights in class D is the responsibility of ATC but the table in ENR 1.4 - 10 does not state seperation between IFR and VFR, only special VFR

10. Question 53 page 7.7 What is meant by category 3 aerodrome.

Sorry this is a little rushed, but thanks for any help in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: General Questions

1. The 30 minute buffers apply only to INTER, TEMPO, FM and BECMG. Those terms are used only in TAFs or TTFs so they don't apply to ARFORs. In fact an ARFOR is of limited use in establishing the conditions at any particular aerodrome.

2. Triangles with squares indicate that some flights [usually RPT] are required to follow their position report with an AIREP. Because most GA aircraft don't have the equipment to allow the pilot to give a full AIREP, only designated flights are required to comply.

3. A LOC approach is much more accurate than a VOR approach. Each 'dot' on LOC is only half a degree, not two degrees as is the case for a VOR. Also a LOC lines the aircraft up exactly on the runway centre line.

4. What you have said is correct. You only need to apply the 50 ft buffer when the aerodrome has a regular TAF, but the TAF is no available for a particular arrival.

5. Yes. Remember that a NGT VFR flight will be in VMC, so the C129a can be used for NGT VFR but not for IFR.

6. That zig zag symbol on a GPS arrival chart simply means that that leg in the diagram is not drawn to scale. To fit it on the page, a long segment has been 'compressed'.

7. The speeds from table 1 are the limiting speeds according to the AIP.

8. When a particular approach is limited to CAT A and CAT B only, you will see 'NOT APPLICABLE' under the CAT C and CAT D columns. The speed in the holding pattern is then limited to 170kt. AIP ENR 1.5 para 3.2.1 (1)

9. That answer should be (b). It has been changed.

10. I'll change that one. It is out of date. There used to be such a thing as Cat 3 but it has changed to A, B and C. In any case it would not change the answer.

• FlyingThereAndBack
  • Topic Author

FlyingThereAndBack replied the topic: General Questions

Thanks for response

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds