Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Alternate Lighting Requirements

• nicko767
  • Topic Author

nicko767 created the topic: Alternate Lighting Requirements

Hi Bob i am wondering if you can answer this question for me.

In regards to the alternate lighting requirements. I understand when an alternate is required. My question is about the alternate aerodrome.

As far as I know the alternate can be PAL without a responsible person in attendance if you carry dual vhf, or single vhf and hf with 30minutes holding based on ENR 1.1 para58.4.4. The alternate aerodrome need not have STBY power or STBY PTBL based on ENR 1.1 para58.4.6.

If the alternate aerodrome is not PAL operated but electric then am I correct in assuming that there are no further OPR's (excluding weather etc of course)?

For example.

Say I was planning a flight to Cessnock (YCNK) at night. I require an alternate as Cessnock is PAL and no STBY or responsible person. Could I then have Maitland (YMND) as my alternate as long as I arrive during the hours where lights are available FM 1730-2130?

Maitland has no STBY power or no responsible person in attendance. Based purely on the fact that Maitland (YMND) is electric and not PAL am I correct in assuming that this would be a suitable alternate if arriving during the hours the lights are available?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Alternate Lighting Requirements

If you require an alternate due to lighting at the destination aerodrome [no standby power or pal operated with no person], the alternate you choose can have no standby power or be pal operated without a responsible person providing you have either 2xVHFs or 1xHF plus 30 minutes holding. Maitland would be OK as an alternate. With no standby power, and lights routinely turned on between 1730 and 2130. It would also be OPK as an alternate after 2130 if you had the lights turned on by arrangement.

Bob

• nicko767
  • Topic Author

nicko767 replied the topic: Alternate Lighting Requirements

Thanks Bob,

That has cleared it up for me. I was just concerned as whenever I have flown in that area we have held Bankstown as an alternate and I didn't think much of it until I have looked at this more in depth.

I also have a few more questions if you don't mind me asking. I am finding IREX is all about how you interpret the text! My first question involves sector entries.

ENR 1.5 - 23 Para 3.3.1 "recognising a zone of flexibility of 5degrees either side of the sector boundaries". Does this include the 5degrees or is it anything less than 5degrees? So if I am flying 5degrees off a certain sector do I still have the choice of either sector entry or am I stuck with the one I am in?

One last thing do you know what we are to do in an exam situation regarding TSO-129 GNSS receivers in regards to GEN 1.5 - 16 Para 8.5.5.2 even though this is contradicted in the table in 8.5.5.4?

Thanks again. I am really enjoying going through your book. It is teaching me a lot!

Nick

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds