Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Holding Requirements

• nicko767
  • Topic Author

nicko767 created the topic: Holding Requirements

Hi Bob,

Just a question regarding Q28 pg 6.20 of your book.

There are 3 VOR approaches so I assume it is between VOR-Y RWY 14 & VOR RWY 32 based on the question saying you are holding at the VOR. Are you wanting us to look at the VOR RWY 32 approach plate?

I know that holding up to FL140 is restricted to 230kts or 170kts if approach limited to Cat A and B.

In the notes for the Port Hedland VOR-Y RWY 14 it states:

1. MAX IAS:
HOLDING: 210KT.
INITIAL:
CAT A&B 140KT.
CAT C 210KT.

Does this mean that the max holding speed for ANY aircraft is 210kts?

Does this also mean that the speeds after the Initial approach fix are 140KT for Cat A & B and 210KT for Cat C?

In the notes for the Port Hedland VOR RWY 32 it states:

1. MAX IAS:
INITIAL :210kts

Does this mean that regardless of aircraft category after the initial approach fix you can fly up to 210kts?

I hope this is not confusing just wanting to get in my head around what the notes are actually trying to say!

Cheers,
Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Holding Requirements

The reference to MAX IAS 210KT INITIAL is not referring to holding. It is for aircraft carrying out the DME arc procedure. After the initial approach fix [triangle] they must not exceed 210 kt. In OZY the max initial approach speed is 180 kt so it would not be an issue for a CAT B aircraft anyway. However, the initial approach segment of the DME arc is not the same as holding in the holding pattern. Below FL140 the max speed in a holding pattern is 230 kt unless the chart indicates that the procedure is available for CAT A and B aircraft only, in which case it is 170 kt. So the correct answer to the question is 230 kt.

• nicko767
  • Topic Author

nicko767 replied the topic: Holding Requirements

Hi Bob,

Thanks i do understand that the MAX IAS 210kt initial is not referring to holding. So if you were in a Cat B aircraft even though it says MAX IAS 210KT you still are limited by the aircraft catergory restriction of 180kts after the initial fix triangle or 140kts if you were doing the reversal procedure?

Second question:

If you look at VOR-Y RWY 14 there is no DME arc procedure so what does it mean when it says:

INITIAL:
CAT A & B 140KT
CAT C 210KT

Is it meaning that after the initial approach fix triangle you are restricted to this speed?

This chart also says in the notes:
MAX IAS
HOLDING:210KTS

so this is quite obviously meaning you are restricted to 210kts here for a hold?

Thanks again.

Nick

Yes, in VOR-Y RWY 14 there is a restriction of 210 kt IAS in the holding pattern. While for VOR RWY 18 and VOR-Z RWY 14 there is no restriction on holding IAS except for the usual 230 kt. This is probably because the holding patterns are orientated differently in each case and there is most likely a noise-sensitive area or perhaps a terrain consideration associated with VOR-Y RWY 14.

Also in this case, the term 'initial' applies to the outbound track of 332°M. That's a bit confusing because the outbound track of a reversal procedure is usually called the 'intermediate approach track'. But, in this case, once you pass the initial approach fix, you are on the outbound track.

• nicko767
  • Topic Author

Thanks for the feedback.

So just confirming that the term "initial" with a speed restrictions means all a speed restriction from the initial approach fix or in this case the intermediate approach track of the reversal procedure.

If you look at Inverell NDB RWY 16 it says:

INITIAL 210kts.

Does this apply to all Categories of aircraft even though a Cat B would normally be restricted to 180kts?

Sorry for all the questions. I think I am over analysing a bit and causing myself more harm then good. I just did the first exam prep test and got 98% so I think I should be ok!

Thanks again for your help.

Nick

Initial 210 kt is of course a MAXIMUM speed. I would have to get a second opinion on this one, but I would interpret it as requiring CAT A and B aircraft to stick to the normal category limits with the 210 applying to aircraft with a normal speed limit above 210.

• nicko767
  • Topic Author

Ok great. So i guess if it comes up in the test I will just go with the standard Cat B speed unless it states Cat B speed is something else!

Thanks
Nick

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds