Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Alternate requirements with no TAF

• halfcab1981
  • Topic Author

halfcab1981 created the topic: Alternate requirements with no TAF

Hi all,
I understand in Bobs book it says that if an destination has no instrument approach and therefore no TAF, an alternate is required unless the flight can proceed to the destination on the last route segment in VMC (paraphrased)

However, under WEATHER, we are required to provide for an alternate if the forcast crosswind or downwind is greater than the aircrafts allowable maximum.

My question is: If the aerodrome does not have a TAF, how can we check the forecast crosswind? I don't think we can and therefore the paragraph in Jeppesen ATC AU 3 .1.3 is valid

"When an aerodrome forecast is not available or is 'provisional', the pilot in command must make provision for a suitable alternate aerodrome that has a firm forecast"

Is this a correct interpretation of the rules?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Alternate requirements with no TAF

As I said previously, this still is a bit of a mystery to me. It is saying that, providing the aerodrome has no instrument approach procedure, you can base your decision on alternate planning on the ARFOR. It does say 'the area forecast indicates...'. So does that mean you still need a TAF but you don't have to take any notice of it!

And what if the aerodrome does have an instrument approach procedure but you are not endorsed to use that aid. Can yoiu then claim that it can be treated as having no instrument approach procedure?

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Alternate requirements with no TAF

I guess you could argue that it says 'forecast'. There is no forecast wind at the destination, as there is no TAF.. So provided the ARFOR indicates not less than +4/8 cloud +500' on the last route segment and/or >8km vis, no alternate required?

• pannier

pannier replied the topic: Alternate requirements with no TAF

Gents...any thoughts on what happens if there is an approach but no TAF? (Say Echuca). Automatic need for an alternate?

Regards

George

• FlyingThereAndBack

FlyingThereAndBack replied the topic: Alternate requirements with no TAF

Pannier yes.
ENR 1.1 58.2.12
States for an aerodrome with an approach but no aerodrome forecast an alternate must be provided.

ENR 1.10 1.2.1
For an aerodrome where no instrument approach is prescribed, the minimum requirement is an ARFOR.

Bob you make a very good point about not being endorsed, but I guess the way the regs are written, it sounds like if an approach is prescribed, you need a valid TAF, or alternate. So a VFR pilot's day can be ruined if there's no close alternate simply due to the combination of no TAF and an NDB sitting at the aerodrome. But take that NDB away and the ARFOR is suddenly fine. Good 'ol CASA!

bobtait replied the topic: Alternate requirements with no TAF

Interesting isn't it. The requirement for an alternate is based on the existence of a piece of paper...

• pannier

pannier replied the topic: Alternate requirements with no TAF. Passed!

Thank you all very much for that. Got 80 percent today. Quite pleased! Cheers

bobtait replied the topic: Alternate requirements with no TAF. Passed!

That's great news. Congratulations, a good solid pass. Now enjoy your flying!!

Bob

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds