Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Visual Approach vs Manoeuvring in the Circling Are

• Andy Venter
  • Topic Author

Andy Venter created the topic: Visual Approach vs Manoeuvring in the Circling Are

G'day Bob / Other,

I don't know if I'm just picking the fly-crud from the pepper here, but I see a conflict regarding the minimum heights to be maintained.

During the visual appr. (ifr or vfr) a miminum height to be maintained is 500ft / 1000'ft as per CAR 157

vs

During an approach (having broken cloud) one may manoeuver and descend as necessary below MDA (in the circling area, ground in sight etc) at 300 ft (new charts) or 400ft (old charts) along the intended flight path to position yourself for landing.

I kinda "get it" that during final approach CAR 157 no longer holds true (purpose of take off and landing), but whilst in the circling area and manoeuvring to land (not yet on final), which minimum height would be in force - the 300/400 (chart) or the CAR 157's 500/1000ft?

With thanks,

ANdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Visual Approach vs Manoeuvring in the Circling Are

Actually CAR 157 does not mention anything about being 'on final'. It says that the requirement for 1000/500 feet does not apply if the aircraft is 'in the course of actually taking off or landing'. CAR 157 (4)(e)

When you are circling in the circling area in conditions below VMC, you are 'in the course of actually landing'.

Bob
Attachments:

• Andy Venter
  • Topic Author

Andy Venter replied the topic: Visual Approach vs Manoeuvring in the Circling Are

The devil's in the detail. Tx Bob.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds