Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX Practice Cyber Question (IREX_134)

• jstephen
  • Topic Author

jstephen created the topic: IREX Practice Cyber Question (IREX_134)

Hi

Could you please explain to me this question and give the AIP reference if there is one.

(IREX_134)
You are planning to conduct an IFR flight in OZY from Mackay to Longreach via Dysart and Barcaldine. The area forecast indicates BKN cloud with a base of 2500 feet throughout and a freezing level of 5500 feet.

1. the flight may be planned providing you do not cruise above 6000 feet.
2. the flight may be planned providing you remain below the freezing level.(MY ANSWER)
3. the flight may be planned at any level providing you do not carry passengers.
4. the flight may not be planned.

The correct answer was 4. the flight may not be plannned.

Is this the correct answer because the LSALT's on the route do not permit me to plan at a IFR west level and stay below the freezing level? And dose this mean that in VH-OZY if there is to be a flight in know icing coditions I have to plan at an IFR level below the freezing level always,can't I just request and plan at a non IFR cruising level thats below the freezing level?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: IREX Practice Cyber Question (IREX_134)

The highest LSALT on this trip is 5000 feet. The FZL is 5500 feet and you would have to plan at even thousands. The lowest level you could plan at would be 6000 feet. That would put you in cloud above the freezing level [known or expected icing conditions]. Also you could be sure that the ARFOR would forecast icing under these conditions of cloud and freezing level. CAR 238 says you cannot plan to operate in known or expected icing conditions unless the aircraft is equipped with anti icing or deicing equipment.

This flight should not be planned IFR.

Bob
Attachments:

• jstephen
  • Topic Author

jstephen replied the topic: IREX Practice Cyber Question (IREX_134)

Thanks Bob for your explanation of the question it really helps

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds