Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Lead in Bearing VOR settings for DME approaches

• pannier
  • Topic Author

pannier created the topic: Lead in Bearing VOR settings for DME approaches

Dear Forum,

Just a q regarding one of the sample IREX questions from CASA.

This one concerns the (I think now removed/defunct) Pinja One arrival for RWY 06 on the 9DME at GOSSI (I think now removed as well...can't see it on a 06 VOR plate). Q asks settings for a 5 degree lead for arrival at GOSSI.

I am assuming that GOSSI is the point at which the radial is intercepted for 06 (068 is the radial).

Would the correct VOR settings to advise you of arrival at that point be

1. 243 radial on the OBI (reciprocal of (068 minus 5), assuming a clockwise DME arc,

2. From flag set

3. CDI centered

On the current VOR 06 plate, the Lead rating is set at 236 degrees. Is there any usual or set value for the difference between the lead bearing and the actual radial for the RWY approach?

Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: Lead in Bearing VOR settings for DME approaches

The lead bearing allows for the radius of turn to prevent an overshoot of the final approach track. The published lead bearing is really considering a typical RPT type aircraft and so it allows for a fairly large turn radius. Most GA pilots would use a lead bearing closer to the required final approach track - about half the published. There is no requirement to use the published lead. Your suggestion would be OK.

• pannier
  • Topic Author

pannier replied the topic: Lead in Bearing VOR settings for DME approaches

Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds