Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Lighting

• pannier
  • Topic Author

pannier created the topic: Lighting

Dear Forum,

Have come across a reference to "lighting is listed as L1 and L2 in ERSA" in an old Sample IREX q bank. Have had a look through the ERSA in Intro 11-14 but can see no reference to this description.

Is this a now defunct description?

Many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Lighting

That's a very old question bank. L1 was once used to indicate portable light ing and L2 was used to indicate low intensity runway lightning. CASA still prefer to present operational information in the form of some secret code e.g. shading the box on an approach chart means you can take 100 feet off if you have the actual QNH.

Bob

• pannier
  • Topic Author

pannier replied the topic: Lighting

Dear Bob,

Thanks for that. Got that question from the sample question bank on the CASA website recently. There are other questions in that area that have SIDS and STARS that no longer exist. Hope the actual exam doesn't have any curly ones like that!

I am surprised by the way the regulations are written too. It seems that CASA would rather have dense slabs of legalistic prose than simple diagrams and flow charts that illustrate the ideas and practices that make for safe IFR flight.

It must be possible to have litigation proof diagrams if that is their concern. I agree: why can't the plates just say "subtract 100 ' if actual QNH available"?

Forgive the pun, but shading is somewhat opaque!

Thank you for your help here.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Lighting

The sample questions that are published on the CASA web site are at least 13 years old and I am certain they haven't been revised since they were first published in 2000. They were current then, but the people who wrote them would no longer work for CASA and I'm pretty sure that most of flight standards division in the exam section would not even be aware that they exist.

Bob

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds