Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Online Assesssment - TIME BASED

• limumeng
  • Topic Author

limumeng created the topic: Online Assesssment - TIME BASED

Hi Bob,
Just did my final time based on-line assessment today, before my exam on Friday.
Need your help to explain these 2 error questions.

Q.13 You are rostered to conduct an IFR charter flight in VH-OZY. In the last 90 days you have logged the following times.

17 hours instrument flight time in VH-OZY with no instrument approaches.
8 hours instrument flight time in multi crew operations which included 1 NDB approach in IMC and two ILS approaches in IMC.

Before you can fly as pilot in command of VH-OZY today you must complete at least -

a.1 hour dual or AICUS instrument time in a single pilot synthetic trainer - Incorrect
b. 3 hours instrument time in a single pilot synthetic trainer including one instrument approach - Incorrect
c. 1 instrument approach in a single pilot synthetic trainer - Correct
d. 1 instrument approach as pilot in command in a single pilot aeroplane in IMC - Incorrect

Q. I choose (a ) which was wrong. When we refer to OZY, isn't it a dual pilot aeroplane? I was confused as I thought all the 4 answers does not fit. Does the question implies that the PIC will be flying alone on the OZY?
CAO 40.2.1 (11.5) talks about single pilot IFR.

Q20 . You are planning a PVT IFR flight to Barcaldine Qld. The actual QNH will be available from an approved source at Barcaldine.

An alternate will be required for this flight if the TAF indicates that there is more than 4/8 of cloud with a base lower than -
Choose one answer.
a. 1400 feet AGL - Incorrect
b. 1040 feet AGL Correct
c. 1040 feet AMSL Incorrect
d. 522 feet AGL Incorrect

I chose 1040 AMSL, which was wrong. Answer is (b) 1040AGL.
Are all MDA and DH reference to AGL ?

Overall had 4 wrongs. Quite pleased. Hopefully these will be the type of questions CASA will set on Friday.
Thanks Bob

Lim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Online Assesssment - TIME BASED

Q13
OZY is a single pilot aeroplane. However you have brought up a good point. I notice that the CASA description of OZY makes no mention of whether it is single or two pilot operated. However, since it is a piston engine aeroplane with a TAS of 180 knots, it would be reasonable to assume that it is single pilot operated. I will add that to the OZY data in the IREX book. Thanks for your feed back.

Q20
The figures given in the alternate box are always AGL as are all numbers in brackets in the approach plate. This makes it easier to compare the cloud base in a TAF [which is always AGL], with the alternate minima given on the approach plate. You consider the alternate requirement in the flight planning stage before take-off, so you will be looking at a TAF at the time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds