Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Airways Prefixes

• pannier
  • Topic Author

pannier created the topic: Airways Prefixes

Dear All,

Just a question regarding airways prefixes...do the Y/Z/Q/W etc prefixes have any operational significance?

If i can stretch the friendship for a second question...on the current ERC Low 8, there is an airway called W444 that travels north from Ballidu (slightly NE of Perth) that ends in a black tipped arrow 73NM north at AVKAN. Is this a terminating airway that then allows pilots to go onto another airway?

Many thanks

George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Airways Prefixes

Gidday George

The prefix on the ERC route designators has no particular operational significance. However, it's interesting to note that the routes prefixed with 'Z' are RNAV routes and if you have a look you will find that they have no LSALTs published. That's because an aircraft operating with RNAV is always certain of its position and therefore can confidently use the grid lowest safe altitudes on the ERC chart.

Regarding the W444 issue, I must admit that I don't know what that is all about. I note that there's a similar one running out of Paraburdoo on the 182 track which terminates in the middle of nowhere at a reporting point called HALEM with no aerodrome indicated. That one is also marked as a one-way route. Interesting - you fly down a one-way route with no aerodrome at the end. I wonder what happens then!!!

I have contacted my contact in CASA who is the AIP expert asking him what is going on. I'll let you know as soon as I get his reply.

Bob

• pannier
  • Topic Author

pannier replied the topic: Airways Prefixes

Thank you Bob.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Airways Prefixes

George

Just letting you know that I have a reply from CASA concerning the 'lonely' waypoint out of Ballidu. He said he doesn't know what it's about either. He has passed it on to Air Services and will let me know when he gets an answer.

Bob

• pannier
  • Topic Author

pannier replied the topic: Airways Prefixes

Many thanks Bob. Curious stuff!

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds