Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Passsed the IREX - Some Tips for study and PIFR vs IREX

• sonwill
  • Topic Author

sonwill created the topic: Passsed the IREX - Some Tips for study and PIFR vs IREX

A Big Thanks to Bob Tait and his team, I passed my IREX exam yesterday with 88%!
I am a private pilot, doing this on my own time.

I was looking to do the PIFR exam, but decided to complete the IREX exam instead. There were two main drivers for me, the fist was that there really isn't any decent study material/guides for the PIFR exam. It was very difficult to get a reliable (up to date) source of truth of what the exam covered. Also the pass rate for the PIFR exam in 2018 was 48% compared to 79.56% in the IREX, further highlighting to me the lack of training material. (ref www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/australia-wide-pass-rates)
The second reason was i felt the IREX was more comprehensive, and covers everything I would need when doing the private IR rating. It also removes any question of knowledge gaps, and flight school developed round exams, in the future should I choose to add a FPA (such as GNSS, ILS, ETC) to the Private IR rating.
Also, I am now leaning towards doing the full Command IR rating as I can use it internationally, but I can decide later.

I self studied at home using the IREX course Videos, the online E-Text and exam prep. Although I studied over many months on an ad-hoc basis, I did focused study after work and across weekends for 4 weeks solid.
The videos are fantastic, and you really get the 'class room experience'. I really followed along as if I was in the class, doing the exercises as 'home work', and doing the review videos following along.

The quality and up to date references to the AIP, CAR, etc are what saved me for sure.
I had attempted to study using another online theory course, but found the references not up to date quality of questions just not there.

In the Exam I took the CAR, CASAR extracts, along with full (purchased from airservices)
AIP (no supplements),
ERSA,
DAPS,
TACS,
PCA,
Self printed CAAP 234-1(2.1).
Unfortunately I discovered that you can't print your own ERSA and AIP even though they provide it free via PDF! More money out the door!

I sat the exam at Moorabbin Airport, no drama there apart from the noisy hot exam room and all the PC's crashing at the start!
Any questions, please shout out.

Thanks again to the Bob Tait team

Cheers
Dale

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stuart Tait

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Passsed the IREX - Some Tips for study and PIFR vs IREX

Congratulations Dale That's a great result

Cheers

• Thank you received: 15

Bosi72 replied the topic: Passsed the IREX - Some Tips for study and PIFR vs IREX

Thank you Sonwill and Stuart for reference to this thread. This is exactly what I need after passing my PPL and confusion where to start as I want to be prepared for accidentally entering the clouds and also want to fly after sunset over the city.. IREX book already purchased so will go that path as well. Cheers

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Passsed the IREX - Some Tips for study and PIFR vs IREX

Great news Dale and a very solid mark, especially for home study.

We have quite a few students who do the full IREX course even though they are aiming for Private IFR only. I think its a good idea because you will be sharing the sky with lots of CIR pilots, so it's good to have a complete understanding of the whole of the IFR world.

Some people do the IREX course but do not sit the Command Instrument Rating exam. They simply use the course as a preparation for the Private IFR exam.

Once again, congratulations.

Bob

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds