Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Pilot weather assessment

• Thank you received: 15

Bosi72 created the topic: Pilot weather assessment

Hypothetical example:
You break from the clouds, have the runway in sight and asses visibility 2km. However minima in DAP says 4km. AWIS via the phone only.
Would landing be against the law or would you conduct missed approach ?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

rubber replied the topic: Pilot weather assessment

Good question.

What does the AWIS say?

CAR 257 (4) says that CASA will come knocking if we land when an element of the weather is less than its prescribed minimum. Here, it's our word against the Bureau of Meteorology.

A different hypothetical: what if it's an IFR approach into, say, Kerang, VIC (YKER). No TAF, no AWIS. Would anyone be able to say the vis was less than published in DAP?

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Pilot weather assessment

Just to be practical on this one (so don't quote me). In the real world, no one I know assesses the visibility in the circling area or on final as a number of kilometers. You simply say 'am I happy with this visibility? The best rule is 'if in doubt - don't".

I know, I know, that's not much help in an exam. But it's a good one to take with you into the real world!

I'd like to get the blokes who wrote the AIP to give me a demo on assessing the difference between 1.2km and 1.5km on a misty, rainy day.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds