Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

example RNAV GNSS approach using a Garmin 530

• Thank you received: 2

rubber created the topic: example RNAV GNSS approach using a Garmin 530

IREX Book August 2018

page 279 - Example RNAV GNSS Approach using a Garmin 530

In the example given, the desired tracks for the intermediate and final approach fixes shown in the FPL page on the Garmin 530 don't match the tracks on the approach plate for YBTH RNAV (GNSS) RWY17 on page 276.

Is this normal for the Garmin FPL page, or a misprint?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stuart Tait

Stuart Tait replied the topic: example RNAV GNSS approach using a Garmin 530

G'day rubber

In what way do they not match the plate?

rubber replied the topic: example RNAV GNSS approach using a Garmin 530

Hi Stuart, my book is from August 2018. See attachments.
In the Garmin 530 picture, the track from BTHNA to the IAF to is 106° but on the RNAV approach plate it is 094°.
The 530 shows that from the IAF to the FAF it is 176° but the approach plate shows 164°.

My first thought was that this reflects the magnetic variation in the area. I'm not sure why the GPS would show true tracks though. Is this a feature of the Garmin 530?

Any help very much appreciated.

Attachments:

• Stuart Tait

G'day rubber

Well that was quite the rabbit hole to follow, it turned out after a lot of head scratching when we did the original graphic years ago, those images were taken off our sim with approach loaded and flown.

It has become obvious that there must have been an error in the database or the approach plate has changed since I can't figure out which, never the less when I fired up the sim and loaded the same approach today the flight plan screen was as you would expect it to be and agreed with the plate.

So it's not a feature of the Garmin just either some dodgy software or the plate has changed since and we updated the plate in the previous page I'm not sure which.

Anyway thanks for the feedback who knows how long it has been like that, shows your really paying attention

Cheers

Attachments:

rubber replied the topic: example RNAV GNSS approach using a Garmin 530

Thanks Stuart, mystery solved!

What software does your sim use, and how do you keep it up to date with the navigation data?

• Stuart Tait

It uses Xplane the commercial version and a Reality XP 530 and the updates comes from a Jepperson subscription for a 900 series garmin plus a whole lot of other things to numerous to mention a certified sim is like having an aircraft on its own

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.459 seconds