Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Hello all

• Di Menna
  • Topic Author

Di Menna created the topic: Hello all

Hi Bob and fellow pilots

My name is Jim. I hold a PPL with some 400 hours PIC and fly purely for the fun of it. Over the years I have added to the PPL completing an aerobatics rating, NVFR, GPS RNAV, tail wheel, CSU and retractable endorsements. I am a member of the Royal Aero Club of WA and often fly club competitions. For a number of years I have also been a member of the team representing RACWA at the Australian Light Aircraft Championships.

I am now considering doing an instrument rating and have decided as a first step to do the IREX self study and attempt the IREX exam in due course. Unfortunately work commitments won't allow me to attend classroom course.

I am not sure if I should do the full command rating or the PIFR - any comments on this much appreciated. Note I am considering the instrument rating as a way of increasing my skills and because I enjoy the learning. I doubt in reality that I will have much use for a full command rating.

Regards Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Hello all

Gidday Jim

It's great to see here on the forums. As you know, the PIFR can be done without sitting the full IREX examination. You only need to sit 'in house' examinations set by a CASA approved training organisation. However, if you have passed the IREX, you are covered for the theory component of PIFR. We often have students in the IREX class who want only a PIFR. It's up to you, of course, to decide which way you want to go. However, even though you don't intend to do the full CIR, you will still be sharing the sky with CIR plots, and as far as ATC is concerned you flight plan is IFR, so you will be treated as an IFR flight. It's up to you to apply the limitations of PIFR during any particular flight. For those reasons, I recommend that you study for and sit the IREX. Even if you happen to fail that exam, you will still be well equipped to go back to the PIFR theory, so it's no burden to bear.

As far as flying is concerned, once again it would be worth your while to go for a CIR initially and, if you want to, let it lapse at your first renewal and apply for a PIFR after that. It's a big confidence boost to have an understanding of how the whole system works. Unfortunately, there is a cost element to be considered, but that is up to you and your circumstances.

All the best with your training, and remember if you ever need help, you are always welcome to post questions here on the forum and Richard or I will be glad to answer.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.326 seconds