Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Alternate/Holding 30 min buffer question

• ray2310
  • Topic Author

ray2310 created the topic: Alternate/Holding 30 min buffer question

Hey,
Got a bit confused doing one of the practice Op Met questions in the book, was wondering if anyone could shed some light.

Question 5 Page 7.29
Arrival at 0040Z

a) no alternate reqd
b) fuel to proceed to alternate should be carried
c) 30 mins holding fuel should be carried
d)flight fuel to alternate OR holding fuel for 30 mins should be carried.

Since the conditions are getting better the FM would only start from 0130 (30 minute buffer after). So the FM doesn't 'really' concern us, Is this correct?
So that leaves us with the Inter and the TAF to consider. The INTER starts at 0030 (30 minute buffer before). The conditions that pose an alternate is the BKN cloud at 800ft in the INTER. I originally chose B as I thought that the TAF requires an alter as well because the cloud is BKN015, but am I correct by saying it's only required if its BELOW 015 and not AT 015? Is this why D is correct?

Help would be appreciated,
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Alternate/Holding 30 min buffer question

Your reasoning is correct regarding the INTER. You are arriving within 30 minutes of the commencement of the INTER period so the OPR will apply for your arrival. However, the INTER requirement does not mean you MUST carry 30 minutes holding. It means that you MAY carry 30 minutes holding OR AN ALTERNATE. The choice is up to you. If the INTER applies for your arrival, you are given a choice of either 30 minutes holding fuel OR an alternate. AIP ENR 1.1 para 58.2.4.

Bob

• ray2310
  • Topic Author

ray2310 replied the topic: Alternate/Holding 30 min buffer question

Thanks for that, Bob. Makes sense now.

Ray

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds