Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Question regarding the synoptic chart

• hellyeah_ravah@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author

hellyeah_ravah@hotmail.com created the topic: Question regarding the synoptic chart

Hey everyone.

I've got a relatively easy problem that I'm struggling to get my head around.

The spacing between ISOBARS is 2hpa

The question is "If the pressure at Perth s 1015 HPA, the pressure at LAUNCESTON (LT) would be-

A. 1005 hpa
B. 1007 hpa
C. 1009 hpa
D. 1023 hpa

The answer is B and I was torn between A and B because both ISOBARS are nearly identical in distance to LT. I ended up choosing A because it "simply looked closer".

My question is, is it a thing to take the pressure of the ISOBAR before the location or after it?

Attached is the synoptic chart that was used for the question.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Question regarding the synoptic chart

I don't know where you got that chart from, but the spacing of the isobars on a mean sea-level analysis chart is usually 4 hPa. It is quite permissible to interpolate between two isobars if the location is half-way between two isobars. Launceston is halfway between two isobars, so you would normally use a value between the two isobars on either side of Launceston.

Bob

• hellyeah_ravah@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author

hellyeah_ravah@hotmail.com replied the topic: Question regarding the synoptic chart

Thanks Bob for the clarity.

I have the AFT book which has your content as well as their own, just so happend to be in the AFT area.

Yea unsure why the question is set to 2 hpa when the standard is 4.

Good to know its silly question with unrealistic answers.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds