Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Front (Wind Movement)

• Pregs
  • Topic Author

Pregs created the topic: Front (Wind Movement)

Hello Everyone.
I need some please.
In the southern hemisphere, following the passage of a front, either cold or warm.
The wind will back. But what happend to the surface wind? does it back also or does it veer?
Thanks for your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Front (Wind Movement)

The surface wind is taken to be a fixed angle (about 30°) veered from the direction of the gradient wind, (10° over water). So, if the gradient wind backs, the surface wind will also back.

These rough 'rules' are not of much use in practice because there are a multitude of other influences and local effects that can act to give a different result. I suppose it is reasonable to assume that the surface wind is normally found to be veered in favour of the pressure gradient.

• Pregs
  • Topic Author

Pregs replied the topic: Front (Wind Movement)

Thank you Mr Bob tait for taking time to reply.
The answer i got from an instructor for this question (The surface wind following the passage of a warm or cold front will normally?) VEER. In the exam, im confused if i should go with veer or with back. what would you suggest is the most correct answer if i had to choose between
A. Back
B. Veer
C. Reverse direction to correspond with the isobar and pressure gradient.
I would pick back but they told me its wrong.

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds