Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Met questions from practice exam

• MissSoph
  • Topic Author

MissSoph created the topic: Met questions from practice exam

Yes... I’m back again :()
Just did a practice exam.. not a bob tait one.. but I’m extremely puzzled by the ones I got wrong...

- not a feature of a mature thunderstorm - down drafts being usually strongest in the upper 1/3 of the cloud...I said a ring of blowing dust

- showers are most likely in CB, CU clouds....
I said Cu Ns As
- warm moist air rising through orographic affects could be described as conditionally stable.... I said unstable

Mature cyclone, centered off the qld coast, moving rapidly south.. where would the worst weather be...sth east quad... I said sth west...

Windsheer encountered by pilot, and having difficulty keeping on desired flight path and airspeed... they say it’s strong... I said severe
Ahhhh... I thought I was doing so well... out of the 3 practice I avg 70%

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stuart Tait

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Met questions from practice exam

You may find this interesting bmtc.moodle.com.au/course/view.php?id=136

oh and check your private messages

• Carello

Carello replied the topic: Met questions from practice exam

Further to Stuart's comments, the answers to you questions are readily available from the your text book or BoM site.

That being said, there is one question that needs an explanation.

Mature cyclone, centered off the qld coast, moving rapidly south.. where would the worst weather be...sth east quad... I said sth west...

As a general rule, weather will be worst in the quadrant to the left of the direction of motion - i.e. in the SE quadrant, refer to BoM diagram below.

Getting back to the question, you are told that the cyclone is heading south off the QLD coast - that changes things a little if the cyclone is close to the coast. The local Orographic presence of the coast will enhance the severity of the weather in the SE quadrant. In a practical sense the weather will be most sever in the SE and SW quadrants when the cyclone is close to the coast.

That being said, I think the examiner is looking for the more generic answer as outlined in the BoM diagram - ie the SE quadrant.

Attachments:

• Carello

Carello replied the topic: Met questions from practice exam

Getting back to the question, you are told that the cyclone is heading south off the QLD coast - that changes things a little if the cyclone is close to the coast. The local Orographic presence of the coast will enhance the severity of the weather in the SE quadrant. In a practical sense the weather will be most sever in the SE and SW quadrants when the cyclone is close to the coast.

Sorry, the above should read
Getting back to the question, you are told that the cyclone is heading south off the QLD coast - that changes things a little if the cyclone is close to the coast. The local orographic presence of the coast will enhance the severity of the weather in the SW quadrant. In a practical sense the weather will be most severe in the SE and SW quadrants when the cyclone is close to the coast.

• MissSoph
  • Topic Author

MissSoph replied the topic: Met questions from practice exam

Thanks Stuart and Carello...I did my exam today and would you believe... not one question on any of the ones I was puzzled about... I passed with 85%.. still a few things I need to work on... but relieved is an understatement... thanks everyone who contributed... you are all a great support.

• Stuart Tait

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Met questions from practice exam

Congratulations there's nothing more satisfying than overcoming something that was daunting for you and 85% something to be proud of

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds