Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Visual Terminal Chart

• twlai
  • Topic Author

twlai created the topic: Visual Terminal Chart

I have purchased the CPL NAV book and I am now self-studying.

I am looking at the legend of Visual Terminal Charts.
I wonder what are the differences between "Check Point" and "Tracking Point".

I know maybe this is a very basic question. But I do not have a chance to actually fly. So I do not have a chance to ask instructors.
So I would be very grateful if you could kindly share with me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Qfly

Qfly replied the topic: Visual Terminal Chart

This is from my personal experience so others please chime in if I am giving the wrong message; A "tracking point" is the solid sqaure that represents a point you can track by and add to/or use in your flight plan, as such they are typically used for flight planning purposes, this way ATC knows where they expect you to be and which way you are tracking. The "check point" can be used by ATC to either have you "hold at" or use as a "clearance limit" which means you cannot go past this point without further clearance when issued a "clearance limit instruction". They may also have you "track via" or "report at" one of these points when inbound/outbound, I have had this happen several times in the past. You are not alone in decifering the meaning of chart symbols, we all go through it at some stage or another. Hope this helps :)

Here is also the guide produced by Airservices that may help clear up any further questions regarding charts;

www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current...alchartuserguide.pdf

• twlai
  • Topic Author

twlai replied the topic: Visual Terminal Chart

Thank you so much for your sharing!

I have a better understanding of them now!! Thank you!!

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds