Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Echo

• Todd
  • Topic Author

Todd created the topic: Echo

Hi Guys. I just have a question re: the Performance exam and the Echo aircraft. The supplement that is provided with Bob's text outlines all of the performance stats that we could ever need but we don't have that info in the exam. I own a copy of the VFR (day booklet V2.2 and it does not include the Echo performance stats. Can I assume that if I get a question where, for example fuel flows are required, the table of power and flows will be provided on the screen? A stupid question, I know but I need to be sure. Also Is Bob's Echo Exactly the same as CASAs Echo? I.e is it always +15 USG fixed reserve and +3 USG startup? Thanks Guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: Echo

Gday Todd,

The stats on the Echo are provided in the workbook you get when you sit the exam. The Echo is exactly the same (fuel flows/climb rates/MTOW etc..), as you'll find when you sit the exam. Good luck! I have to sit this one again in a couple of weeks. It destroyed me.

Cheers :laugh:

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re:Echo

Ellzy beat me to the answer - you get some karma Ellzy :)

Bob's supplement has a few extra bits in it but it is an identical Echo. As Ellzy said, the fuel policy information will be supplied in either in the workbook or in the text of the question itself.

You will need to remember the requirements of CAAP 23-1 which recommends 45 minutes fixed reserve and a variable reserve which is 15% of the flight fuel. Also note that the variable reserve does not need to be applied to private flights.

Good luck!

Cheers

Rich

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re:Echo

In my supplement, I have included fuel flow and TAS tables which will not be provided in the CASA exam. In the CASA exam any TAS and fuel flow information will be included in the question text. I decided to use the fuel flow and TAS tables for my examples for two reasons.
1 It saves a lot of words when creating questions.
2 Pilot's will need to extract that information in real aeroplanes once they get to fly in the 'real world'.
3 CASA syllabus does say that you are to be capable of extracting information from performance data.

Once again, don't panic because any exam questions that requires TAS or fuel flow information will have that information given in the question. The exam will be easier in that regard than the exercises in my book.

Good luck............

Bob

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re:Echo

I'm splitting hairs, but you are allowed to take in CAAP 23-1 to the exam room so you don't 'have' to remember it, but really, it's not much to remember honestly and it's one less thing to remember to take. Thanks for the karma rich! I now equal you woot woot!

Again, good luck mate

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re:Echo

I'm gonna have to pull my finger out and answer more posts. First one to 10 gets a beer :laugh:

• Todd
  • Topic Author

Todd replied the topic: Re:Echo

Thank you all.
Todd

• dtrembath

dtrembath replied the topic: Re:Echo

Hi Richard
Just a bit of clarification ..
"You will need to remember the requirements of CAAP 23-1 which recommends 45 minutes fixed reserve and a variable reserve which is 15% of the flight fuel. Also note that the variable reserve does not need to be applied to private flights."

Dose this mean that if the exam question says that the flight is 'Public Transport or Charter' then we MUST include the fixed and variable fuel reserves (even if not mentioned). If so, do we assume the fuel flow for these calculations are at cruise rate?

David

• dtrembath

dtrembath replied the topic: Re: Echo

Just another quickie ..

I've calculated (correctly) that the fuel required for a flight (including reserves) = 230.3 litres. Clearly, if you have multiple choice, one of the choices would be 230 or 231.
However, if you had to write down (to the nearest whole litre) the minimum fuel required, your answer would have to be 231 (230 doesn't meet requirements).
As you have included these write down answer type q in the online beta program I need some clarification (I assume the exam doesn't have these.

Davdi

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: Echo

Hi David,

I'm pretty sure you won't find a reference to RPT flights in the exam, I never saw one, but if it says charter (and 99%) of them do, you need to add 15% variable reserve. Make sure you calculate it the way Bob says in the books otherwise you'll end up with an incorrect figure.

For example, 100L at start up, 20L fixed res, 5L taxi = 75L usable. 15% of 75L = 11.25L, so usable is 63.75L. I tried it this way a couple of times but.. percentages can get tricky.

If you do it the proper way, (100-20-5)/1.15, you get 65.2L. I know thats not what you're asking but I found I did it wrong a couple of times therefore the answer I got was off, so make sure this step is done right.

As for fuel flow, this will be in the text of the question. "Fuel flow for this flight is 80L/hr" or something, it will also either give you the fixed reserve required, "Fixed reserve is 50L". Or "Fixed reserve is 45 minutes calculated at cruise rate (which it would give you)" You won't need to assume anything in the exam.

Also look through the whole question text for the word Charter, it could be right at the end say after they have given you the fuel and distance and ETI and everything, at the very end they might ask "How much fuel is required at start up for this Charter flight". An easy one to miss.

Minimum fuel question <--- if you have a look here I did ask Bob the same question with regards to minimum fuel. I found in the actual cyberexam the multi choice options were further apart than the practice exam so if you're on the right track you can catch the answer pretty easily.

Good luck with it!

Michael

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds