Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

CPL Final Test

• sydpilot
  • Topic Author

sydpilot created the topic: CPL Final Test

Hi Bob,

I've been working through the questions of the CPL Final Test (page 8.10) and need some clarification on the answers of the following.

Question 5.

Why have we attempted the working with both a 1.2% up slope/5 kt head wind AND 1.2% down slope/5 kt tail wind?
My working seems to give me 1920 kg from either method.

Question 6.

My working give me answer [c] 2300 kg. I cannot seem to arrive at answer [d] 2550 kg though I have tried a couple of times.

Question 8

Why has 70 gal been divided by 17.2 gph? The supplement mentions holding at 45% MCP which is 20.4 gph but the answer has used 35% MCP as explained in the book on page 4.37. Which method do I use in the exam?

Sorry if these are silly questions but I'd ppreciate any help. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nt.pilot

nt.pilot replied the topic: CPL Final Test

Have you tried Question 5 without the wind - is it a landing chart? if so you don't apply wind for landing weight limits, it is only used for landing distance limits.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CPL Final Test

Question No 5. The slope is down to the NE and the wind is from the SW. If you take-off on 07, you will have a down slope but also a tailwind. If you take-off on 25, you will have an up slope but a headwind. You really need to check both to establish whether the advantage of the down slope counters the disadvantage of the tail wind. In this case it doesn't make much difference but you can't just assume that.

Question No 6. Answer is actually 2250 kg, so if you are getting 2300 kg you shouldn't be too worried. The answers in the exam are not likely to be that close. However you should always try to be as accurate as possible and use a good sharp pencil.

Question No 8. The question says 'maximum time' you can spend in the search area - you are not holding in this case. Maximum time would imply minimum fuel flow i.e. minimum power. Don't fret about that. In the CASA exam all fuel flows and performance data is given clearly in the question. You wont have to look up any fuel flow or TAS tables. I must admit that question is a little nasty in that regard and I probably should have stipulated the power to use.

Bob

• sydpilot
  • Topic Author

sydpilot replied the topic: CPL Final Test

Got that. Cheers Bob.

A final question in this topic.

Question 5 did not state which chart to actually refer to unlike Question 6 'maximum landing weight for an Echo is closest to'
Would the examiner tell us which chart to use in the question, like, 'using the chart on page 7...' etc.

Thanks again.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CPL Final Test

Yes, you can be sure of that.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds