Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Passed Performance - Exam run down

• davelindojrff
  • Topic Author

davelindojrff created the topic: Passed Performance - Exam run down

Passed my performance exam on my third attempt coming out with a decent score of 94%. My first attempt was 57% and my second was 64%. The key to this exam is practice exams, the more calculations you can do the better! the exam is evenly spread out and its very important not to forgot about the theory. Give yourself enough time (id say 3-4 weeks) to read through Bobs book at least twice to get a proper understanding of the subject.

Exam rundown
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

32 questions consisting of 50 marks in a 2 and a half hour time frame.

the first 10-15 questions are theory based which are worth 1 mark (2%) and range from density height questions, Tas calculations and definitions such has TORA and VB. I also had 2 questions asking me to extract information out of the ERSA regarding 2 different airports and their runway surfaces (Hard, asphalt, flexible). It is important to tab your AIP and ERSA with the codes for runways and flight notification.

From 15-26 are 2 mark questions (4%) and these consist of Take off/ landing charts, fuel calculations and Bravo Charlie charts.

Bravo chart - was asked to fit as much baggage as possible (just added 100kg and drew a line to see the max amount)
Charlie chart - was given weights for each compartment and asked to calculate the COG

fuel calculations were all in-put answers and asked for KG
1) CHARTER - alpha to bravo 144 mins, inter at bravo, 92L/H flow, 45L/H holding
2) PRIVATE - Alpha to brave 95 mins at 17G/H, Alternate 32 minutes at 16.5G/H, 20 mins holding at Charlie(alternate), holding flow 10G/H
3) CHARTER - 100G fuel on board, 15G/h flow, inter at Alpha, Tempo at Bravo, what is the safe endurance in minutes?

Echo problems

1) Add weight minimum weight to rear so plane stays in balance - forward limit problem
2) Calculate COG from MAC
3) Shift weight from rear to front

ETP question: The ETP has been calculated for nil wind, after a recalculation there is a 20knot headwind, what effect does this have on the time?

27-31 3 markers (6%)

ETP time back to alpha - 100nm, wind 230/40T, Variation 8E, Tas 145, track 304

(can't quite remember the other questions)

Lastly is Question 32 being a PNR question worth 4 marks (8%). It is so important to get this question right and it is honestly an EASY 8% which can make or brake the exam. S.E x GS(H) / twice Tas.
They will give you: wind 250M/30, Tas 145, flow 92l/h, holding flow 80l/h, start up taxi 12 litres, inter bravo, tempo alpha, FOB 477L. Then they asked for the distance from PNR to Alpha.

The key to this exam is knowing your calculations to the point where you can just see a problem and start punching numbers straight into the calculator. You need to know your forward and rear limit solutions as these are easy marks as well. Don't get caught out with Take off and landing graphs which give you forecast winds which need to be NIL wind on the graph unlike ACTUAL wind which you need to account for. Be deadly accurate when drawing these graphs and measure to the mm on every line. I found the Bob Tait exams really good for this subject with exam 4 be very close to the real exam. If you can score in the mid 80s to 90s on your practice exams then I think you should be fine. I went through the book questions twice, did all bobs online exams and also did every PPE online exam.

This exam is feared by every pilot I know and it rattled me as well (failed twice). If you do the hard work, practice your calculations and graphs, do all the practice exams you can and read through the theory, you will do well!

That completes my last CPL exam, Thanks Bob for your text books and online exams as they helped me get through all 7!

Good luck and go get em

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stuart Tait

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Passed Performance - Exam run down

Congratulations Dave

94 is a good result and thanks for the feedback

Cheers

• Sofeopka

Sofeopka replied the topic: Passed Performance - Exam run down

Thanks for your detailed run down Dave.

Well done on your result.

• Kevin93

Kevin93 replied the topic: Passed Performance - Exam run down

So even if they stated given: in the exam and listed the wind vector you still used NIL wind is that correct?

• Thank you received: 0

BobTaitNo1Fan replied the topic: Passed Performance - Exam run down

You must read the question very carefully. If the question states "ambient conditions at takeoff" or "GIVEN" for T/O charts then they should be used. However most times you will be given "TAF: 240/12", "AWIS: xx/xx" then these winds shouldn't be used. For landing, especially if the question asks whats the max landing weight, you should use NIL wind. This is what I've been taught, and after applying this to my exam I didn't receive a single KDR for T/O Land charts.

Directly from CASA's exam writer(s)-

"For take-off we can use ambient or actual winds (often the question may say “actual W/V = ”) – in which case we would expect the candidate to use the HWC or TWC appropriate for that RWY. Nonetheless, a candidate must NOT plan to operate on a RWY where the TWC exceeds the amount which can be plotted on the graph or where there is an excessive cross wind component.

For planning of a landing, normally no wind is used in case the wind dies, but candidates should still ensure they do NOT plan to land with excessive tail wind or cross wind components."

• Thank you received: 0

BobTaitNo1Fan replied the topic: Passed Performance - Exam run down

Basically, ambient conditions can be used for takeoff charts, but not forecast conditions. For landing, the "current" ambient conditions at the time of departure may not be the same when you arrive, therefore nil wind is used for landing charts. It's fairly obvious when you're in the exam to figure out if you need to use the winds or not. Just read the question properly and slowly!

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds