Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Performance question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Runway type c - where are the notes / SFC?

• brook
  • Topic Author

brook created the topic: Runway type c - where are the notes / SFC?

Hi again Bob and Richard,

This is another question I got wrong, due to data I could not find. Not that its the end of the world, but it can be the end of an exam question.

I am trying to find whether the runway is grass (long wet or short wet / long dry ) and I get shown that the 14/32 Runway as 20 c (Unrated). From the legend I can see its "unsealed", but from that alone I can't differentiate if its gravel, grass (short wet, dry, or long wet).

In this case its Cooma Airport, and the Runway in use is 14/32, which is show in the ERSA (also scanned and attached) as 20 c. Its also interesting to note that in ERSA (also scanned as the second attachment) that the c type runway says (ALWAYS to be qualified with a note). Am I to assume that in this case (Cooma / Snowy Mountains that Air Services failed to qualify the secondary RWY with a note, coz I can't find that note anywhere, so am still in the dark as to the RWY SFC.

Thanks

Brook
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bungee

Bungee replied the topic: Runway type c - where are the notes / SFC?

Hi Brook
Unrated is a term used when the surface has not been rated for weight.
I would assume the note would be issued via NOTAM as to the surface condition, and would change depending on weather.
If I were asked a question in regards to this in an exam, I would go with short dry grass unless otherwise stated.
cheers
Ben

Excerpt from CASR 1998 Part 139

14. UNRATED PAVEMENTS
14.1 Where the aerodrome pavements consists of a natural surface or a gravel surface of
low bearing capacity and a pavement strength rating cannot realistically be assigned to the
pavement, the entry in the AIP-ERSA has traditionally been reported as ‘unrated’. The
unrated pavement fills the gap where the strength of the pavement has never been determined
using either a technical evaluation or from aircraft usage. This is normally applicable to noncertified
or non-registered aerodromes where testing for soft wet surfaces is the simplified
method of assessing the suitability of the runway pavement.

• brook
  • Topic Author

brook replied the topic: Runway type c - where are the notes / SFC?

Thanks Ben - good call the NOTAM (I just would have thought it would have been ERSA or DAP due to specific airstrip). I used short dry grass but still managed that one wrong. Passing the main exam was good though!
Thanks for your help!

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds