Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Condition that require an alternate aerodrome (ALTN AD)

• plpl747
  • Topic Author

plpl747 created the topic: Condition that require an alternate aerodrome (ALTN AD)

Hi everyone,
I am a bit confused as I read BT's PPL,p.165 on the conditions that require an ALTN AD
In para 1, it says:
"VFR ACFT OPR beyond 50 NM fm the DEP point by day, and all ACFT OPR at NGT, are required to carry sufficient fuel to allow for the possibility of ARR in the vicinity...

Then in par 2, specific criteria are listed, including clouds, VIS and X/wind, meaning that if the FCST COND is better than the requirements on cloud, VIS and X/wind, no additional fuel has to be carried.

So my questions is, if the COND at an ALTN AD is better than those COND listed in par 2, but the FLT OPR in NGT, do I have to carry extra fuel?

Or did I mix up anything? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Condition that require an alternate aerodrome (ALTN AD)

There is no difference between the alternate minima for cloud, visibility or cross wind by day or night. But aircraft operating VFR by day need not carry the alternate or holding fuel if the flight is less than 50nm. By night, if the conditions are below the minima, you must carry the extra fuel even if the flight is less than 50nm.

Also, for VFR by night, you must have a navigation aid (NDB, VOR or GPS) that will ensure that you can find the destination aerodrome. This book does not deal with night VFR flight planning.

• plpl747
  • Topic Author

plpl747 replied the topic: Condition that require an alternate aerodrome (ALTN AD)

Hi Bob, thanks for your reply,

Want to further clarify that, when you say:
"But aircraft operating VFR by day need not carry the alternate or holding fuel if the flight is less than 50nm"
Does that mean: even when the condition is below (i.e. worse than?) the minima, as long as the flight is less than 50nm, no holding fuel is required?

Similarly, when you say:
"By night, if the conditions are below the minima, you must carry the extra fuel even if the flight is less than 50nm."
Does that mean: By night, if the conditions are better than the minima, even the flight is more than 50nm, no extra fuel is needed?

Lastly question is, I tried to refer to <AIP ENR 1.1 para 5.2.1 to 58.2.11> as suggested on PPL, p.165 par 1 (sept 2014), last Line, but I couldn't find para 5.2.1 to 58.2.11 of the AIP ENR. Is it there is some updates that I am not aware of it?

• Stuart Tait

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Condition that require an alternate aerodrome (ALTN AD)

VFR Aircraft operating beyond 50 NM from the departure point by day, and all aircraft operating
at night, are required to carry suffcient fuel to allow for the possibility of arriving in the vicinity
of the destination aerodrome and then finding it impossible to land due to weather. Sufficient
fuel must be carried to proceed to a suitable alternate aerodrome, with all normal reserves, or in
some cases to hold for a specifed period of time, depending on the conditions described in the
aerodrome forecast

The AIP references in that book (2014) are out of date as there was major changes to the AIP in March 2017 the correct references are
AIP ENR 1.1 para 11.8.2.1 to 11.8.2.11

As you have such an old copy I encourage you to use this link to see all the changes that have been made
www.bobtait.com.au/updates-and-errata/25-ppl-errata

Cheers
Stuart

• Thank you received: 0

Marko replied the topic: Condition that require an alternate aerodrome (ALTN AD)

Hi Stuart.If planning Flight a to b Is 100 nautical miles (so more than 50 nm from departure)and taf at b is cavok and alternate at c is another 50 nm on should the total fuel required include that last 50 nm to alternate or only if weather below minima at b

• Thank you received: 0

Marko replied the topic: Condition that require an alternate aerodrome (ALTN AD)

Hi Stuart I asked this question Because In aip11.7 .2 .1 It says WHEN ARRIVAL AT DESTINATION is below minima then we have to plan for alternate only if the above is true .The way some of this is worded to me does not make it obvious

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds